PORTIMAO GRAND PRIX
26 November - 02 December 2021
From: Race Director
To: All Drivers
Document: Driver's Briefing
1. Matters arising from the Spanish Grand Prix
- Drivers not taking appropriate caution at the race start.
2. Changes to the Circuit
- The track has been resurfaced from the end of the Pit Wall through to the exit of Turn 1, right hand side between Turn 3 and Turn 4, left hand side from the exit of Turn 5 to Point 5.5, prior to Turn 7 through to the exit of Turn 7, left hand side between Turn 12 and Turn 13, left hand side immediately prior to Turn 13, left hand side at approximately Point 13.3, a small patch on the exit of Turn 14, exit of Turn 16 through to the entry to Turn 19, a small patch at Turn 20, Point 21.5 through to the exit of Turn 23.
- Five domed kerb sections 50mm high are installed approximately 1.5m from the track edge behind the exit of Turn 7.
- A short qualifying session (18 minutes) will determine the starting order for the Singapore Grand Prix.
- The Realistic Performance Leagues (PS/Xbox) will not participate in qualifying this week. Their starting grid will be determined from a reversed order of the Round 11 race results.
- No driver is to drive unnecessarily slowly during "in or out" laps throughout qualifying, and must proceed at a safe and reasonable pace.
- Drivers on an "in or out" lap must not block or impede drivers on a qualifying lap, they must stay off the racing line when practical and ensure they give themselves sufficient time to clear the corner when a faster driver is approaching.
- Drivers must ensure they leave themselves sufficient space on track when preparing for a qualifying lap.
- Drivers who are on a qualifying lap are not required to yield track position to a faster driver approaching from behind.
- All drivers must retire from the qualifying session while entering the pit-lane, or while in their garage. No driver is to retire while on track.
- Drivers are not permitted to exit the pitlane at the end of the qualifying session unless they have sufficient time to complete their outlap without the need to cut sections of the track to make it to the start/finish line to begin a qualifying lap. Drivers who leave the pitlane with insufficient time remaining in the session will be investigated by the stewards; particularly if you affect drivers on a qualifying lap.
- For guidelines on safe retirement, refer to section 9.
4. Tyre Allocation & Mandatory Race Tyres
- The following tyre compounds will be used for the Singapore Grand Prix.
- Drivers must use a minimum of one set of the designated mandatory tyre compounds.
- Drivers must use two of the three available dry tyre compounds during the race event.
- If weather conditions require a driver to use a wet tyre compound, then they are not required to use two different dry tyre compounds during the race event.
5. Race Event
- The race will consist of 31 laps.
- The race will commence after a Formation Lap.
- Drivers will be required to complete a minimum of one mandatory pit-stop, unless weather conditions require the use of the "wet weather" compounds then drivers are not required to complete a pit-stop.
- Stewards will pay particular attention to driving standards, track limits, returning to the race track and pit-entry and exit.
- Stewards will pay particular attention at pit-entry.
- Drivers who are found to present a risk at the race start to other competitors will be investigated after the race.
- Drivers must complete 90% race distance to be classified in the race results.
- For guidelines on safe retirement, refer to section 9.
6. Lines/Bollards at Pit Entry & Pit Exit
- Stewards will pay particular attention at pit-entry and exit for the Singapore Grand Prix.
- Drivers must keep to the left of the solid white line at the pit exit when leaving the pits. No part of any car leaving the pits may cross this line.
- For safety reasons drivers must keep to the left of the bollard at the pit entry when they are entering the pits.
- Except in the cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the Stewards), the crossing, in any direction, of the painted area separating the pit entry and the track by a driver who, in the opinion of the Stewards, had committed to entering the pit lane is prohibited.
- For safety reasons, when driving in the first part of the pit lane, prior to the first team garage, drivers must keep to the right of the two bollards separating the fast lane and inner lane.
7. Track Limits
- Turns 1, 2 and 3; any driver who fails to negotiate Turn 2 by using the track, and who passes completely to the right of the orange kerb/line element, must keep to the right of the red and white polystyrene block and re-join the track on the outside of Turn 3. (See attached images).
- The above requirements will not automatically apply to any driver who is judged to have been forced off the track, each such case will be judged individually.
- In all cases detailed above, the driver must only re-join the track when it is safe to do so and without gaining a lasting advantage.
8. Lapping During the Race
- Drivers who are caught by another car about to lap them must allow the driver on the lead lap past at the first available opportunity, avoiding hindering or blocking the passing driver unnecessarily. Blue flags will be waved, signaling that a faster driver is approaching and is looking to overtake. Drivers who are a lap down (backmarkers) must yield position and allow the lead drivers to pass.
- Drivers who have unnecessarily hindered the leaders will receive a penalty from the stewards in accordance of Regulation 126.96.36.199.
9. Retiring from Qualifying & Race Event
- Drivers who wish to retire from the qualifying session or race event must do so according to Regulation 3.5.9.
- Drivers are to proceed safely to the pit-lane, avoiding the racing line when possible.
- Avoid hindering or blocking other drivers on track, or force them into avoiding action.
- Ensure you have sufficient time and space to clear corner and apexes.
- Drivers intending to retire may have to pull off to the side of the circuit if necessary, giving way to other drivers.
- When crossing the pit-entry line, retire from the session.